2018 Neil Armstrong™ Award of Excellence
Through a partnership with The Purdue Research Foundation, the Armstrong Family and Neil Armstrong’s friend, Jim Hays, ASF will recognize an Astronaut Scholar Alum who exemplifies personal character and professional achievement, and their work leaves an impact in their field. The nominating criteria embody Neil Armstrong’s core values and those of his colleagues, the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, Space Shuttle and International Space Station astronauts.
The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation was established to inspire the next generation to embrace science and technology and to reward the best and brightest students in these fields.
The Neil Armstrong Award of Excellence serves to inspire and is a prestigious recognition for scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians who continue to advance the boundaries of their fields. Only ASF Astronaut Scholar Alum are eligible for nomination and the award winner will be invited to the “Innovators Gala”.
This year’s annual event will be held August 25, 2018 at the J.W. Marriott in Washington, D.C. where participants will enjoy a night of networking and fellowship and the Neil Armstrong Award of Excellence will be presented in front of an august audience in the heart of the nation’s capital.
Many thanks to our esteemed judging panel.
Michael Griffin – Chair
- Applicant/nominee must be a past ASF Astronaut Scholar recipient. All scholars from the class of 2017 and prior years are eligible to apply.
- Applicant/nominee must be a U.S. citizen.
- The achievement, product, technology, or service cited for the award has been widely recognized by others (company, industry, associations, etc.).
All applications with completed documentation are due March 31, 2018 by 11:59 pm.
- Applicants must offer evidence of significant accomplishments in a STEM field.
- Applicants must embrace and demonstrate a philosophy that fosters teamwork and promotes ingenuity.
- Applicants must meet the criteria as described in the categories below:
- Character - Applicant should possess traits such as integrity, perseverance, critical thinking, intellectual daring, and a passion for exploration. The nominee will have clearly demonstrated a commitment to the pursuit of excellence.
- Achievement - The award will recognize any outstanding accomplishments in STEM fields, including scientific discovery, the development of creative technologies, new and advanced processes and systems, significant patent applications, novel prototypes, and other innovative contributions.
- Impact - The nominee’s achievements should have a demonstrable impact on society through their effect on science, technology, industry, global leadership, or the inspiration of future generations.
All eligible applications will be reviewed by the judging committee and the winner will be selected for the Neil Armstrong Award of Excellence by June 11, 2018. All nominees will be notified and invited to attend the Innovators Gala in Washington D.C. on August 25, 2018. The recipient of the Neil Armstrong Award of Excellence will be awarded during the gala celebration.
Nominate an Astronaut Scholar
*Disclaimer: Submitting a nomination/application does not guarantee an award. Neil Armstrong™ used with permission from The Purdue Research Foundation.