Created By The Mercury 7 Astronauts
Be the nation’s leading merit-based scholarship for upper level undergraduate engineering and science students who are U.S. citizens.
Ensure that the scholarship program and Astronaut Scholar award are well-known and sought after by universities and the best and brightest students.
1. Provide a minimum of forty (40) Astronaut Scholar awards annually. More than forty awards will be granted when matching and / or additional restricted funds designated for scholarships are available. Anticipated timeline for development: Immediate and ongoing.
2. Develop and implement an internal written procedure for adding Astronaut Scholar awards and universities. Anticipated timeline for development of procedure: 6 months; implementation within 1 year.
3. Develop and execute a marketing plan, targeting eligible students, parents, and faculty. Anticipated timeline for development: 6 months; implementation during 2018 calendar year.
4. Develop clear and concise documentation of the policies and procedures for Astronaut Scholar award recipient selection and renewal, including allowances for handling of special circumstances. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 12-18 months.
5. Develop and implement a process for selecting up to five (5) universities, each year, that will host an on-site Astronaut Scholar Award ceremony / Astronaut appearance. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 1 to 2 years.
6. Establish written guideline for university commitments and re-evaluation for participation in the program. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 1 year.
7. Strive to be in the prestigious scholarship category in each partnering university by December 31, 2019.
Provide development and enrichment opportunities for Astronaut Scholars to engage with industry leaders and enhance their professional careers.
Positively impact the professional careers of Astronaut Scholars and connect them with influential industry leaders, investors, entrepreneurs, and others who can assist in advancing their careers.
1. Increase networking opportunities for Astronaut Scholars with astronauts, corporate leaders, entrepreneurs, innovators, and fellow Astronaut Scholars. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 18 to 24 months.
2. Facilitate internship and full-time employment opportunities. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 18 to 24 months.
3. Develop an on-line database of Astronaut Scholar profiles, resumes, and other professional information. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 18 to 24 months.
4. Enhance the Innovative Leaders Mentor Program by maintaining a minimum of 30 mentor-mentee relationships per year for the next two years. Engage at least 15 new corporate partners by December 31, 2018.
5. Develop a professional and personal development program of training sessions for current and alumni Astronaut Scholars, focusing on topics that are not normally included in standard university curricula. Anticipated timeline for development: 6 months; Implementation: beginning in 2017.
6. Provide financial support for current and recent graduate Astronaut Scholars to participate in ASF recognition programs, development training, and select ASF networking activities. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 1 to 2 years.
Recognize outstanding accomplishments and achievements of Astronaut Scholar alumni.
Continue to honor and support Astronaut Scholars throughout their careers, as an Astronaut Scholar Award is a lifetime engagement.
1. Establish and execute the Neil Armstrong Award of Excellence. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 12 months; to be executed in September 2017.
2. Recognize the new class of Astronaut Scholars annually, at the Neil Armstrong Award of Excellence event. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 6 to 12 months
3. Enhance the Scholar Technical Conference to bring added value to Astronaut Scholars and ASF. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 2 to 3 years
Establish relationships, provide access, and facilitate opportunities for Astronaut Scholars to present their inventions, business plans, proposed ventures, research proposals, and other ideas and initiatives to potential investors and supporters.
Facilitate these opportunities and access for Astronaut Scholars to ensure their success and assist in realization of their ideas and goals.
1. Develop a platform that will allow Astronaut Scholars to present inventions, business plans, research proposals, and other ideas to potential investors and supporters. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 2 to 3 years.
Develop metrics to measure the effectiveness of each program and return on investment.
Establish benchmarks to ensure programs are having the desired impact, assist in future growth, and identify opportunities for ongoing improvement.
1. Develop metrics of Astronaut Scholar demographics. Anticipated timeline for development: 6 to 12 months; implementation during 2017 – 2018 academic year.
2. Develop metrics of Astronaut Scholar awards and accomplishments. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 6 to 12 months.
3. Develop metrics of mentoring program effectiveness and outcomes. Anticipated timeline for development: 1st and 2nd quarter 2017; anticipated implementation in 3rd quarter 2017.
4. Develop metrics of the professional and personal development program effectiveness. Anticipated timeline for development and implementation: 2 to 3 years.
Increase annual contributed revenues by 8% per year.
Raise the funds necessary to achieve the Mission and expand programs support.
1. Increase the number of individual donors who contribute financially and the average amount contributed per individual.
2. Define the criteria for being an “active supporter” of ASF, and increase the number of astronauts who are active supporters by 50% over the next three years.
3. Decrease the special event expense-to-gross revenue ratio by 5% each year.
4. Establish fundraising efforts focused on supporting Astronaut Scholars and related programs.
5. Increase the number of corporate financial contributors by a net of at least two per year.
Negotiate agreements to maintain current levels of Miscellaneous Revenue.
Maintain existing financial support levels from ongoing activities that provide a base revenue stream.
1. Negotiate the renewal of the Delaware North Support Services Agreement and finalize agreement by December 31, 2017.
2. Continue to review investment management agreement and recent performance to assess opportunities for improvement in the fee structure and investment returns.
3. Increase the revenue-to-expense ratio of the on-line store inventory, by outsourcing sales or other creative approaches.
Establish a formal Legacy and Planned Giving initiative.
Raise funds to support the long-term sustainability of ASF.
1. Establish a formal legacy giving program complete with a name, messaging, collateral, web presence, and appropriate recognition for donors.
2. Execute one-on-one meetings and relationship building with identified individuals who have a strong affinity for ASF. Encourage astronauts and supporters to name ASF in their will or estate plans.
3. Establish metrics to define both short-term and long-term success.
Improve the timeliness and effectiveness of communications to stakeholders and potential donors.
Move more swiftly and be more responsive in our communications to match public expectations.
1. Establish more efficient and effective electronic communications to constituents as a priority over printed material.
2. Implement more current methods of communication to constituents.
Ensure that ASF operations effectively support the Mission and Strategic Plan.
Properly align the staffing levels, organizational structure, priorities, and budget to accomplish the Mission and strategic plan goals while minimizing time and money spent on peripheral tasks that do not directly support the Mission.
1. Ensure the organizational structure is appropriate to execute the strategic plan.
2. Hire the appropriate number of staff to successfully achieve the strategic plan.
3. Develop and support the annual budget to accomplish the strategic plan.